Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Well! Art to me is...

As a writer, I am drawn to emotional subjects. My writing pattern has free-flowing spirit that often needs to be tamed or toned down to appease certain readers. Being that I am not with everyone to explain my thought or how I was feeling when I phrased a line a certain way, it is crucial for me to listen to more than my own voice when I am writing an article (or the company’s blog) opposed to my emotions when creating a poem.

I envy artists that can paint, sculpt, draw- well anyone who can describe beauty on a canvas of their own choosing- because they are not defined by critiques or someone’s opinion. Their artistry is an expression of what they see inside of their soul or from the outside of their mind. Even if we are not present when inspiration imparts to an aesthetic artist, we recognize their creativity whether it is appreciated or not.

When we look at a painting and instantly connect with the artist’s subject, an admiration is formed for what was created. But too often, if that painting is not seen in a gallery or museum we tend to question the authenticity of the art’s aesthetic value. The opinion of the masses too often dictates the worth of an artist creation. This can push an artist to be more adventurous by not caring of what critics say about their talent, or the latter; discouraging them to move forward in the pursuit of their talent. It is easy to respect the artwork when there is understanding, but if a subject was only understood, would that demean the value of the creation?

Whether we admit it or not, critics are the driving force behind the creative mind. Opinions tend to characterize the art world. Yes, we have all heard that art is subjective, but it still poses the question of what is considered art. Does our opinion give us the right to dictate what we consider art? Or have we stopped listening to the
 innovative cries of a creator?


No comments:

Post a Comment