Friday, June 19, 2009

Spotlight

Color: Marcel Mouly

By Farah


"Scène d'Intérieur" - Marcel Mouly

I am a very visual person.

I am embarrassed to admit I will choose a coffee table book jammed with pictures over Charles Dickens or Victor Hugo. My father and sister are what you'd call intellectuals, having read books in the hundreds and as I've tried to follow suit I've come to realize... being an intellectual is exhausting. Sometimes it seems to me the "smarter" you are, the more confused you get.

I studied a wide variety of subjects in college but my constant was astronomy. I love studying the universe because somehow it ended up bringing me back to Earth. It made me want a humble and simple life where the only rules are love and kindness. I don't want to read hundreds of books to strengthen my illusion of knowledge. I think I'd rather whistle and skip through life admiring the scenery. I think this is why I love color, why I love art, why I love Marcel Mouly.

I don't think Mouly's work is meant to be over analyzed. I think it is meant for simple admiration. His work is an ode to the beauty of existence. His still life's, landscapes and city scenes have no hidden meanings.

His work isn't characterized by convention but falls somewhere between fauvism and cubism. In his work, he utilizes a cubist principle where each object is broken up and reassembled in an abstract form, depicting the subject from a variety of viewpoints and angles. Marcel Mouly doesn't pretend to know all the answers or care about accurately depicting a scene. Instead, his work represents the inherent chaos of existence.

Also, I LOVE color!!!!! It is as simple as that!

and I have never seen anyone use color the way Mouly does. Each canvas is uniquely beautiful with color combination's that elate my spirit. In Scène d'Intérieur, Mouly's use of light with yellow and greens, combined with his cubist methods, create a mysterious scene where some objects are hard to decipher and truth tends to slip away.

In Mouly's work, I see the truth that is no truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment